Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Oven Fried Chicken Legs

The flavours of the coating on this chicken were amazing but in trying to cut some of the fat, I removed the chicken skin and I believe it would have been a lot juicier had I left the skin on. 

If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1/2 cup of milk with a squeeze of lemon juice and let it sit for 10 minutes to sour. Buttermilk only comes in 1 litre cartons here so whenever I buy it for a recipe, the leftover (which is a lot) ends up going down the drain. The milk/lemon substitute makes more sense if you don't use a lot of buttermilk or can't buy it in smaller quantities.



Oven Fried Chicken Legs
Original recipe from Eating Well
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 skinless chicken legs (or cut them into 4 drumsticks and 4 thighs)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (or black seeds)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • cooking spray
Directions
  1. Mix together the milk and lemon juice and let it sit for 10 minutes to sour. To the sour milk, add hot sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic. Stir well and place it in a dish just large enough to hold all your chicken pieces in a single layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (mine marinated for 2 hours).
  2. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top that's been sprayed with cooking spray.
  3. In a large bag, place all the other ingredients and give them a good shake. One piece at a time, remove the chicken from the marinade and let the excess drip off a bit. Shake each chicken piece in the dry mixture until coated.
  4. Place the coated chicken pieces on the wire rack and spray them with more cooking spray. Or just give up and use chicken with skin in the first place.
  5. Bake for about 40 minutes or until no longer pink inside. If you're using boneless it may take less time. Let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

  1. I love that you did a healthier "fried" chicken and the flavors sound wonderful. I oven "fry" 99.995 of the time and have found that if I cook my chicken at 450F for 20-25 minutes it is cooked through perfectly and still extremely juicy, hot and fast is the way to go. I think that at 40 minutes, you had just over baked taking away all the juiciness. Just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry Copycat "KFC" Original Recipe Fried Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you healthied these up! Makes me not feel as guilty! ;)

    #46

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your recipe looks good. Definitely sounds good.

    #19

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts